D.I.Y. Sharpie Mug – Frozen Mugs – Maid Of Honor/ Sister Gift

We’ve seen them a million times all over Pinterest:

gkgkg

Mugs make great gifts and keepsake items for loved ones. Spread a little cheer and a good cup of Joe for any occasion!  I made these particular mugs to ask my sister to be my Maid of Honor! We are huge Disney fans, and what better way to celebrate being sisters other than FROZEN?! Here is a step by step process for our Anna and Elsa mugs, feel free to do your own designs as well. Lets get started!

What you will need:

• A plain white mug (the cheaper the better, mugs with thicker glosses won’t hold the sharpie stain well. Mine are from Target)
  • Pencil
  • Standard Sharpie (fine tip)

(optional:)

• printed design
  • lined paper
  • Scotch tape

Now you’re ready.

After you’ve picked out the perfect mug(s), you can chose to freehand a design, or be lazy like me, and trace!

idea

[[Also, since this was a gift, I wanted text on the mug as well ❤ xoxo]]

process

1. So once you’ve found your simple design or simplified characters to print (want image to be size of mugs), trace using thin lined paper with a pencil.
  2. Tape the lined paper with your traced design on one side only
  3. Pull paper as snug to the surface as possible before taping the other side. The round mug would “crinkle” the paper at the bottom of the characters’ braids, some may have to be free-handed.
  4. Trace pencil with a sharpie. Make sure to move slow enough to stain through the paper, while making super fine lines. Sharpie will bleed onto the surface, so transfer may be thicker than desired.
  5. Remove taped paper gently, there will be a faint sketches of lines from your original tracing.
  6. Connect the faint lines to form the image or character!
  7. If desired, flip the cup over and write a sweet message! My Elsa cup (for my sister) said: “Can I say something crazy? Will you… be my Maid of Honor?” My Anna cup says: “Love is an open door – The Bride”
  8. To keep the print on longer, bake mug(s)! We are going to place mugs in oven, bake at a low temp oven at 225 for 2 hours. Make sure to keep mugs in the oven, even while pre-heating and cooling. Putting mugs in oven, when already heated, may cause your mug to crack!
  9. Pull your mugs out when cooled down, wrap, and give some love! *Remember to hand-wash to keep in best condition*

DSCN0456

DSCN0458

Good luck, and remember:

Only an act of true love can thaw a frozen heart ❤

– Angel Adriana

eyeemfiltered1396308625173 eyeemfiltered1396308639979 PicMonkey Collage sad,ans,

Advertisements

13 thoughts on “D.I.Y. Sharpie Mug – Frozen Mugs – Maid Of Honor/ Sister Gift

1. sweetkimplicity April 1, 2014 / 12:12 am

Ooh! Tracing! Good idea. The mugs turned out beautifully!

2. Korina April 14, 2014 / 8:45 pm

Looks amazing? just curious where did you get the image?

• aangeladriana April 15, 2014 / 5:01 am

Thank you! I just searched for them on Pinterest! I hope that helps:)

3. Amber Martin May 24, 2014 / 1:42 am

SO SUPER CUTE!! 🙂

4. julie January 1, 2015 / 12:57 am

Incredible, love it did u use oil based sharpies, could I ask you how long do the mugs last until they begin to fade?

• aangeladriana January 1, 2015 / 1:04 am

The mugs are still good as new! We’ve only hand washed them, and we keep them by our laptops. Can’t remember what Sharpie was in the photo, sorry Julie!

• julie January 6, 2015 / 6:19 pm

No probs, aw thanks is great to know, will try with the oil sharpie. The temperature u baked them at is that a uk oven temperature, mine oven goes up to 250 degrees, thanks again x

5. TDSS Drama May 25, 2015 / 9:22 pm

What did you search up on pinterest for the image? I tried multiple keywords but can’t seem to find it..or do you have the saved picture handy?

• aangeladriana May 27, 2015 / 6:15 pm

Try searching Elsa and Anna drawing 🙂 I hope that helps!

6. michelle December 7, 2015 / 8:43 pm

Did you bake the mugs on a cookie sheet or directly on the rack in the oven?

• aangeladriana December 9, 2015 / 2:01 am

Directly on the rack 🙂 Make sure to keep mugs in the oven, even while pre-heating and cooling. Putting mugs in oven, when already heated, may cause your mug to crack!